Fantasy Folder Forums
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Fantasy Folder    Forum              
: Registration is temporarily disabled while we beef up our anti-spam measures. Sorry for the inconvenience. - 4/26/11 August 07, 2020, 12:58:01 pm
Fantasy Folder Forums  |  Cinema Fantastica  |  Movie Critiquing  |  Topic: Narnia 2
  « previous next »
1 2 [3] 4
: Narnia 2  ( 43250 )
Windrose_author13

« #30 : May 18, 2009, 07:06:35 am »

Redwall,
   I love european actors, just like my fav gal Nicole Kidman.

Minerva,
   Part of being in character is that you make up extra back stories when your off stage. The audiance doesn't need to know it, but it helps the cast.
   I tried out for, and as of yesterday, got a part in Annie Get Your Gun. I am one of three Indian girls. (Not necessarily a big part, but its still a part, so i'm satisfied.) 
« : May 18, 2009, 07:10:49 am Windrose_author13 »

Nathan Darrowdan
Apprentice Mage
: 89

High Lord of Rak'Narroh

« #31 : May 27, 2009, 10:45:08 pm »

The siege engines totally sucked! There is no way a catapult with such an artless, awkward, bumbling, bungling, butterfingers, gauche, halting, inadept, incapable, incompetent, inefficient, inexpert, maladroit, unapt, undexterous, unfacile, ungraceful, unhandy, unproficient, unskillful design would be able to through a boulder at all. It wouldn't even make it ten feet!

I am your leading expert on medieval projectile launchers too.

High Lord of the frigid northern territories.

minerva66
Apprentice Mage
: 65

« #32 : May 28, 2009, 12:20:17 am »

hey,
I've actually seen Annie Get Your Gun. many years ago in San Fran before kids. Lots of fun.

redwall_hp
The Head Mage
Administrator
Battle Mage
: 220

« #33 : May 28, 2009, 12:22:29 am »

Then what is the average velocity of an unladen European swallow?

many years ago in San Fran

You know, the general population of San Francisco doesn't appreciate having their name abbreviated to "San Fran" or the even more annoying "Frisco."

redwall_hp
The Head Mage, and founder of Fantasy Folder

minerva66
Apprentice Mage
: 65

« #34 : May 28, 2009, 12:40:52 am »

how do you know? did you ask? perhaps do a poll? I think it matters not.

Windrose_author13

« #35 : May 28, 2009, 09:26:00 am »

The siege engines totally sucked! There is no way a catapult with such an artless, awkward, bumbling, bungling, butterfingers, gauche, halting, inadept, incapable, incompetent, inefficient, inexpert, maladroit, unapt, undexterous, unfacile, ungraceful, unhandy, unproficient, unskillful design would be able to through a boulder at all. It wouldn't even make it ten feet!

I know and agree, thoug you were a bit redundant there. They totaly used the wrong kind of wood. The whole system works of of a spring-like action, and the wood they used was way to solid! it wouldn't have bent back that far without breaking.

hey,
I've actually seen Annie Get Your Gun. many years ago in San Fran before kids. Lots of fun.
Cool. I just found out what my name is. "Turtle Dove" Not extremely creative, but it could have been worse.

redwall_hp
The Head Mage
Administrator
Battle Mage

« #36 : May 29, 2009, 01:47:36 pm »

I know and agree, thoug you were a bit redundant there. They totaly used the wrong kind of wood. The whole system works of of a spring-like action, and the wood they used was way to solid! it wouldn't have bent back that far without breaking.

Actually, the most efficient (and widely used in the middle ages) catapult was not the torsion catapult, like you describe, but something akin to the Trebuchet, which uses a counterweight system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet

redwall_hp

Gandalf
Apprentice Mage
: 75

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

« #37 : May 29, 2009, 03:44:48 pm »

Why use catapults when you can use magic?

::)

Windrose_author13

« #38 : June 02, 2009, 07:04:37 am »

Bacause they didn't have the ability to wield magic, Duh! (argue THAT Red.)
Actually, the most efficient (and widely used in the middle ages) catapult was not the torsion catapult, like you describe, but something akin to the Trebuchet, which uses a counterweight system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet

Yes, but you still need to have the right kind of wood. It has to be able to spring foreward or it will shatter.

redwall_hp
The Head Mage
Administrator
Battle Mage

« #39 : June 02, 2009, 03:10:55 pm »

Bacause they didn't have the ability to wield magic, Duh! (argue THAT Red.)

Yes, but you still need to have the right kind of wood. It has to be able to spring foreward or it will shatter.

Does a lever or crowbar need to be springy? It's the same principle.

redwall_hp

Windrose_author13

« #40 : June 03, 2009, 06:51:31 am »

Perhaps not, but metal is less likely to snap when it bends foreward. AKA the wood needs to have enough spring to bend foreward on the follow through w/out breaking. Metal wouldn't snap, but wood might.

redwall_hp
The Head Mage
Administrator
Battle Mage

« #41 : June 03, 2009, 05:24:44 pm »

It doesn't need to bend so much. It's on a pivot...

redwall_hp

Nathan Darrowdan
Apprentice Mage

High Lord of Rak'Narroh

« #42 : June 04, 2009, 12:45:09 pm »

The weight at the bottom of the trebuchet keeps the arm from hitting the ground.

Windrose_author13

« #43 : June 04, 2009, 01:57:56 pm »

Neither of you get my point. Not saying your wrong, you just don't get my point. When the wood moves foreward at high speeds, unless something pulls it into a back swing, it needs to be able to bend a little without breaking when it is stopped.

Nathan Darrowdan
Apprentice Mage

High Lord of Rak'Narroh

« #44 : June 06, 2009, 09:45:39 pm »

Not needed. The counterweight makes it a gradual stop. very little stress is put on the Trebuchet at all.

Do I have to draw a diagram???

1 2 [3] 4
Fantasy Folder Forums  |  Cinema Fantastica  |  Movie Critiquing  |  Topic: Narnia 2 « previous next »
:  

©Fantasy Folder